The brain behind all things militating against the matrimonial union of two believers and indeed any marriage is Satan, the devil. This is proved by the fact that he (Satan) and his angels are mischievous in nature (Jn. 8:44), contend with the saints (Eph. 6:12), tempt to disobedience (Gen. 3:4 5; Matt. 4:1 3, 5 6, 8 9; Jn. 13:2; Acts 5:3), slander them (Job 1:9 11), oppose the righteous (Zach. 3:1), prey upon believers (1Pt. 5:8; Rev. 2:10), remove the good seed (Matt. 13:19), sow the tares (Matt. 13:38 39), blind the minds of unbelievers (2Cor. 4:3 4), among other acts.
Because sound marriage relationships are indispensable means to sound societies (including the church), Satan and his angels attack these unions vehemently, either directly or indirectly. Some of their wicked devices are as follows:
* Tempting married people into sinning against one another, including the sin of unfaithfulness (cons. Jn. 13:2; Acts 5:3)
- Removing the good seed virtue (Matt. 13:19; Lk. 22:31) and planting tares vices (Matt.13:38 39; Jn. 13:2) through squabbles arising from the fact of differing backgrounds, levels of knowledge and experience, habits, or from neglect, etc, thereby creating lack of interest.
* Causing the intrusion of relatives, friends or well wishers for those who know not the
truth of leaving and cleaving. (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:4 5).
* Making couples prayer‑less
* Causing them not to regard the Word of God as the code that must rule their marriage.
* Causing separation of one another, due to work or other reasons.
* Cashing in on unfruitfulness or other deficiencies, to cause squabbles and achieve ineffective prayers.
Fellowship Song: (HSCF 247)