Text: Gen. 2:22-25; 1Corint. 7:1-40
Today, we will dwell on Sound Marriage Relationship. To do this we will explain what is meant by sound marriage relationship, and go on to show the roles of husbands and wives.
By sound marriage (husband-and-wife) relationship it is meant, that relationship from which error has been removed, which thrives in harmony and understanding. This is achieved through the entrance of God’s Word (Ps.119:80; Jn.17:17,19). This kind of relationship is the perfect will of God for husbands and wives and must be the utmost craving of the married.
To achieve this the parties must seek to fulfill the roles that the Lord has laid down for them:
(a). Roles of Husbands
* Leaving all others and cleaving to wife (Gen.2:23-24; Deut.24:5)
* Loving wife as Christ loves the church (Eph.5:25-28)
* Giving honour to wife and dwelling with her according to the knowledge of her being a weaker vessel (1Pt.3:7).
* Doing all things that are not sinful in order to please wife (Cor.7:33)
* Entirely forgiving her offences and allowing the virtues to remain (Eph.4:32; Col.3:13).
(b). Role of Wives
* Submitting entirely to husband (Est.1:20; Eph.5:22; Col.3:18; 1Pt.3:1)
* Looking well to the ways of the household and not eating the bread of idleness (Prov.31:27).
* Being faithful in all things (1Tim.3:11).
* Doing all things that are not sinful in order to please the husband (Cor.7:34).
* Entirely forgiving the husband’s offences and allowing virtues to remain (Eph.4:32; Col.3:13).
N/B: It is only in sound marriage relationships that the original purposes of God-companionship, helping hand, accomplishment and the attendant pleasures are realized.